Monday, September 14, 2009

Humane Societies

I think Humane Societies are good things.  I believe they do excellent work that they really shouldn't have to.  But since all people are not responsible pet owners or view pets as "disposable", I'm glad that Humane Societies exist.  I don't understand, however, how some can be "No Kill" and others "Kill" - why can't the "No Kill" shelters train the "Kill" shelters?

Anyway, as you know we got Cooper from a Humane Society.  The process was very simple; I filled out an online application, within 24 hours was approved but told my cat of choice was already chosen.  I was then told that my approval was good for 6 months and I had that amount of time to adopt a cat.  We had Cooper by the end of the week.  Simple, painless process.

Not so with another local Humane Society.  Where Cooper's shelter was no-kill; this other one is not.  They make adoption extremely difficult that you get the impression that they would rather just put them all down.  My great-nephew has wanted a dog for sometime.  His mother & father took him to this shelter to look at dogs.  He picked one out, they let him play with it, he was allowed to take it for a walk, they all fell in love with it.  They were then told they were number 6 on a waiting list for him.

Ummmm....I don't know about you, but I think when an animal has just ONE application on him; he shouldn't be made available to anyone else until a decision is made.  Plus even if they disapprove the other 5 applications - it would probably be a good 6 months before they'd get to them.  A co-worker is adopting a cat from this place - she's been waiting for approval for 3 weeks - there's no line, she's the only one.  What more do they need to know?  They wonder why pet stores and puppy mills exist - this is why; too complicated of an adoption.

Now I understand they want the animals to have a good home and I agree there should be a process....but other than the following what do you need:

1.    Proof that you own your home or proof that your landlord will allow the animal.
2.    One or two references.
3.    Employment information (just so they know you have an income).
4.    Vet information - if this is your first animal the vet you intend to use.
5.    Maybe some information to sign off on explaining the time and cost of the animal of choice.

What can it take no more than 72 hours to accomplish that process?  After that have the household come in for a final meet & greet with the animal.  I think home visits are unnecessary unless there's a flag somewhere.

Anyway, I got online at Petfinder and found a cutie at a local rescue that I have dealt with in the past with guinea pigs.  I emailed it to my niece.  She fell in love with him.  She contacted them and within 10 minutes they had emailed a ONE PAGE application form.  There's no waiting list.  She'll probably know within 48 hours if the application is approved.  Then it's just a meet & greet.  They could have a dog by the end of the week; while the first one they chose will be sitting in a cage at the local humane society waiting weeks to get his forever home (if he makes it that long).





No comments:

Post a Comment