Saturday, February 25, 2012

So It Ends...For Now...

Well my Spacey trips are now over and boy am I ever tired!

Left Friday morning at 6:45 a.m. and headed to Harrisburg, PA to the Amtrak Station.  Trained left at 9:00 a.m. and arrived at Penn Station in NYC around 12:15 p.m.  From there I hopped the Red 2 Line Subway to Hoyt Street in Brooklyn and walked the block to the Aloft Hotel.

Again, I cannot sing the praises of this Hotel enough - same great room, view, service, cleanliness...it's just wonderful and you can't beat the rates.  And it's only a few subway stops from Manhattan...making it a cheaper alternative than staying in the city.

Anyway...Met up with Jill and her friend Emma and Pamela (this was my very first time meeting Pamela after chatting online with her since around 2004 and we should of met a whole lot sooner and hopefully will catch up again) for dinner at Scoppello which was right around the corner from the theatre.  I had the Caserecce Con Sugo Di Funghi E Salsiccia, which is homemade short pasta with sweet sausage and mushrooms and is absolutely EXCELLENT.  After much talking, food and a bottle of wine...we headed to the theatre.

I was on the opposite side of the theatre from last time and in the very front row.  The stage to the theatre isn't risen...it's at floor level, which means if you're in the front row...you're in the play.  Yep, your feet are resting right on the stage and don't stretch your legs out or you may end up tripping an actor - they are that close!  The only real issue I had with sitting this close was that sometimes an actor was blocking your view and you couldn't see what was going on.  This may not be an issue with the center seats, but it is with the side ones.  I much preferred my third row side seat last time - still super close but a few steps higher that you can see past the actors.

Anyway, I can't say I preferred one performance over another, as I said last time Kevin does a WOW performance and all the actors are exceptional!  You don't have to know the story because the performances just pull you right in.

There was one particular moment in the play, during one of Kevin's speeches where he looks directly into the audience (he does this a lot); but this particular one, apparently my seat was the chosen focal point, that man looked directly at me, our eyes locked and my whole body shuddered from top to bottom.  Obviously, I don't believe he picked me out of the audience...I know performers have focal points within the entire theatre...I just happened to be in the chosen spot and the words were spoken directly to me for a brief second.   It was actually a weird feeling....lol!!

I was so tired when I got back to the hotel....it had been a long day.  This morning I got up and walked down to Junior's for breakfast.  I ordered 2 scrambled eggs with bacon and they bring me this huge platter which was much more than 2 eggs, about 7 slices of bacon, hash browns, juice, coffee and then she wanted to know what kind of danishes I wanted!!  I opted out of the danishes so she brought me toast....but seriously, I only ended up eating about 1/2 of everything.

Then it was back to the hotel to check out, onto the subway, then the wait at Penn Station for the train to Harrisburg - WHEW!!!

I must say I'm becoming the little expert with the NY subway lines (it actually isn't as difficult as the maps make it look) and I even was answering questions at Penn Station for some first timers who were confused over where the trains were - lol!!  

On the way home hubby and I stopped at Wolf's Diner a little place we discovered on my last trip that we made a point to go back to.  Little diner with homemade cooking and great service...and VERY cheap!

Always enjoy the trips but always glad to get back home! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment