Friday, August 17, 2012

The Days Are Long....


Okay, so…..

Got my new hard drive, popped it into the computer and booted up.  My original system came with Vista pre-loaded but I had paid extra to have the recovery disks.  (Note:  if you computer came pre-loaded and you’ve never made your recovery disks, please do that or, like me, you can pay a fee and get recovery disks from the manufacturer.  If you don’t have these and are out of warranty, you’ll be sunk).  About 2 years ago I upgraded to Windows 7 and thus have that disk.

I was unsure whether to start with 7 or Vista.  I chose 7 first and everything loaded, but it didn’t like the product key.  So I started over with the Vista disks.  This took FOREVER.  At one point I thought I was done but when it booted back up it went to more screens.  It finally went to a screen where it was saying something like “One time process, balloons will pop up, ignore them, wait until you’re given instructions, etc..”  This seemed non-ending and I’ve re-installed before and don’t every remember it taking this long or that screen.  I got on the laptop and did a search…seemed to be a common problem to the point some people let it run all night and it still was running in the morning; didn’t seem to be a solution either.  I finally made it to an HP board and one person had taken the initiative to hit “Ctrl-Alt-Del” and brought up the Task Manager.  This brought them to the actual Vista Desktop!  They played around and discovered if you went into msconfig and unchecked two items in the start window and then rebooted you were done.  So that’s what I did.  Now I was ready to load 7 – did a clean install with that as I wanted a 64-bit system, loaded with no issues and accepted the product key this time; apparently since it’s an upgrade version the other system had to be there first (duh).

Now I’m up and running.  Need internet.  My system had come with an internal wireless adaptor that has never worked.  Not a big deal as most of the time I’m corded to the internet; but in the summer we move it downstairs to the air conditioning and run it wirelessly via a USB wireless adaptor.  It would find the network, connect, then disconnect, then connect, then disconnect, etc…  Hmm….  I then noticed that it was trying to connect to the network twice simultaneously.  Seems that internal adaptor decided to work now; I pulled out the USB one and presto – I had internet!!

I let it do all the updates and then sat down to start the long process of reloading things.  It was then I noticed, despite having just purchased a 1 TB hard drive that my C drive was only showing 50 GB (almost full) and the D drive was a little less than that.  Where was all my space???  Back to the internet, another common problem.  Checked the BIOS – nope it’s showing the full drive; it’s a Windows thing.  After much research with way too much useless information, I found a kind soul who handed me the news that because the system created that D recovery drive (when things come pre-installed you get that) there was no way to increase the size of the C drive without deleting the D drive (system wouldn’t let me do that).  The hard drive was split with the C drive first, the D drive second, and the rest last not assigned to a drive.  I could increase the D drive because it was next to the unassigned space.  The only solutions were to either purchase a partitioning program that could work around that, or scratch everything, reload and catch it when the disk starts loading the system.

Okay now I’m about in meltdown mode (and I’ve been doing so well); so they offered further advice; right-click the unassigned space in disk management; format it and assign it its own drive letter.  Just remember when downloading programs or saving files to save them to that drive letter (since Windows automatically always wants to save to C).  So that’s what I did, seemed the easiest solution and seems to be working okay so far.

The loading is a pain, but it also is giving me the opportunity to clean out the programs – I have many, but don’t use most of them anymore.  We lost our upgraded Corel Program, so I had to install an older version.  The upgraded one was when hubby had his business and it sold with the business.  The IT guy at work handed me the sad news that my old drive is FRIED and absolutely nothing is recoverable (back up those drives everyone).  I have some old back-ups but it seems that I’ve lost at least everything from the past year.  It will take time to re-build things (sigh).

On a happy note, when I downloaded Google Chrome (I gave up on Internet Explorer long ago-too many bugs, freezes, etc..), as soon as it loaded it asked me to sign-in with my Google account (gmail) and TA-DA all my favorites and settings were there!!!  I can’t tell you how good it felt to see some of my current things!  Thank you Google Chrome!

And if you notice on the sidebar – V A C A T I O N is very close!!

3 comments:

  1. What a pain! Don't trash that old drive. Let me take a look at it. I have had some success using my Mac to save files from windows machines that were on drives that other windows machines couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great - you can give it a try!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete