Friday, November 2, 2012

It Was A Long And Stormy Night...

Okay technically it was just a long day....but am I ever whipped.

The day was planned - hubby's surgery at 8:30 a.m. and I should be able to be back home by 2:00 p.m.

The day went:

Hubby was do for gall bladder surgery at 8:30 a.m. at Johns Hopkins.  We were required to be there by 6:30 a.m.  It can be anywhere between a 1-1/2 to 2 hour drive depending on traffic.  We got up at 3:00 a.m. and were on the road by 4:30 a.m.  Since it was early, there was little traffic so we got there about 6:00 a.m.  They took hubby to the back and I sat in the waiting room.  About 7:00 a.m. they came and got me, so I could sit with him until the surgery started.

And we sat and sat....  it was freezing too!  Right before hubby's surgery an emergency trauma came in - who has the only operating room not in use at that precise moment?  Yep, that would be us.  So we sat and froze some more.  Around 10:30 we prepared again.....  but another emergency trauma comes in and again who has the open operating room?  Yep, more sitting and more freezing!

At 12:30 p.m. they finally came and got him.  Surgery started at 1:15 p.m., ended at 3:15 p.m. and at 4:15 p.m. I was finally able to see him.

The nurse was going over all these instructions with me and it was then that I realized they planned to send him home.  I had specifically asked the doctor this after surgery and he told me he planned on keeping him overnight.  I told the nurse this.  She said that the orders had had both a "release to home" and a "release to another facility"; when she had questioned the interns on what it was they had told her "home".  She calls the doctor, he advises that I was right, he was to stay.  Now they have to find a room.

Hubby was in the room by 6:00 p.m.  Me on the other hand was totally exhausted and facing a 2 hour drive home in the dark.  I left about 7:00 p.m. and fortunately the traffic wasn't too bad and I pulled in around 8:30 p.m., walked my dogs (my sister came and did a mid-day walk for us) and hit bed about 10:15 p.m.

Now they are trying to decide whether or not to keep hubby another day, we're pending the insurance approval.  So I'm home waiting on a call.  I'm hoping for tomorrow, I am just so tired...


No comments:

Post a Comment