Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Thyroid and The Weight Loss Plateau


Let’s talk thyroid….

I bring this up because on one of the message boards at My Fitness Pal someone asked (and this isn’t an exact quote):

“I’ve lost 40 lbs but now am having trouble losing weight.  I’ve been reading up on hypothyroidism and since I have the symptoms am wondering if this is the cause….blah, blah, blah….”

Many of us jumped in, me included, assuring her that if she was hypo, it was nothing to fear (as she was really afraid).

But now as I re-read the thread, I’m thinking we didn’t answer correctly.

For the record, I have been hypo for 10+ years and take a pill once a day to keep my levels normal.  Being hypo and going on meds did not make me drop pounds.  As a matter of fact, I think 4 lbs. is what dropped when I went on my meds.  Though I am hypo, I was able to lose 40 lbs. on Weight Watchers and I lost at the same rate CC did, who doesn’t have this issue.

My point is:  this girl has lost 40 lbs and now that she’s in a plateau …she’s assuming that the reason would have to be medical.  So she gets on the internet, looks things up and WHAMO – has the symptoms.  Does she really?  Or is she now imagining them?  Because we’ve all done that and ended up with thinking we have some horrible disease.

My guess is she’s in a plateau; and it is going to take some changing around and such to get the weight loss happening again.  It is normal, it happens to all of us.

As far as her symptoms…as the thread progressed it turns out she really only has 2: can’t lose weight and hair coming out.  The first one is probably just the normal plateau; the hair part (and I don’t know if she meant clumps or just the little amount that normally comes out) could be a vitamin deficiency or a ton of other things.

But my whole point is…you are going to plateau – you’re body is going to get use to what you are doing and adjust; you are then going to have to mix things up to get it moving again – it could take days, weeks or even months.  It’s a part of weight loss.



As for myself:  I’ve been very very bad!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment